Annesley Primary & Nursery School is committed to promoting the welfare and equality of all of its staff, pupils and other members of the school community.
We understand that, under the Equality Act 2010, all schools have a duty to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation;
- Advance equality between different groups;
- Foster good relations between different groups; and
- Promote mental health and wellbeing.
Equality and Diversity is more than just meeting legal obligations, or targets. It makes a difference to the lives of the people we serve, treating all people with dignity and respect, and recognising the value of each individual. This means an ongoing commitment to ensuring that our services meet the varied and individual needs of children and young people in our school. We will actively value the wide variety of lifestyles and cultures, locally and nationally. We will prepare children and young people for living in a diverse society with increasing global connections and controversial issues.
Our school’s overall values are underpinned by our statutory duties under the Equality Act 2010. We are dedicated to ensuring that every pupil receives an education that offers them the best chance at fulfilling their potential, and to promoting mental wellbeing amongst our pupils. Our policy is to provide a clear framework for how we will achieve our school’s aims and objectives.
Our equality aims and objectives are:
- to respect the equal human rights of all our pupils;
- to educate them about equality; and
- to respect the equal rights of our staff and other members of the school community.
To achieve this, we will adopt the following methods:
- Embedding equality within teaching and resources
- Using key data indicators to understand the needs and characteristics of our school
- Promoting community cohesion
- Promoting parental engagement
- Investing in regular staff training
- Using key data, such as measures of wellbeing, to monitor the progress of pupils with protected characteristics
- Regularly reviewing our equality policy to ensure it reflects current trends and issues
At Annesley Primary & Nursery School, we are committed to equality of opportunity in line with the Equality Act 2010. We shall endeavour to make a positive contribution to society by demonstrating qualities such as respect, co-operation and valuing differences while celebrating cultural diversity. This commitment applies to our work in the classroom, our pupil support systems, our recruitment and retention of staff and our work in the local and wider community.
We promote the principles and practices of equality and justice throughout the school and we aim to be a school where everyone:
- is respected and respects others
- takes part in the life of the school
- achieves to their potential
- develops skills essential to life
- exercises choice
- celebrates cultural diversity
As an employer we will not discriminate on any of the following:
- Gender re-assignment
- Religion and belief
- Sexual orientation
- Marriage and civil partnership
Nor as a school, or an employer, will we accept any of the following:
- Direct discrimination
- Indirect discrimination
- Associative discrimination
- Harassment by a third party
The school will update all published equality documentation annually and will publish its objectives at least every four years.