Below are a few ideas for fun reading activities you can do at home with your child:
1. Choose a book, either a reading book or story book, pick a word and have a race to see who finds it first.
2. Choose a word from a book and see how many words you can come up with that rhyme with your word. You could even have a go at writing them down.
3. Play a game of I Spy using pictures in the book.
4. Write some key phrases from the story on paper and cut them into strips. get your child to read and order the events.
5. Tell a story together using my turn, your turn.
You - Once upon a time there was
Child - .....
You - They lived in
Child - ......
6. Play tricky word snap. The tricky words are - I, go, to, the, no, into, he, she, me, be, we, was, you, they, are, my and all.
7. Read a simple story or traditional tale. Ask your child to draw pictures from the story explaining what happens at the start, middle and end. They could even write about their pictures or label them.
8. Before reading a new story book together ask your child to predict what the story might be about, or what might happen in the story using the title and picture on the front cover.